Lacey City Council Seeks Capital Area Regional – Public Facilities District Board Member

The Lacey City Council is currently recruiting for one vacancy on the Capital Area Regional – Public Facilities District (CAR-PFD) Board and seeks recommendations from local organizations. The vacancy is to fill a 1st term position that begins March 1, 2023, and expires March 1, 2027.

The CAR-PFD, a municipal corporation, is a special taxing district created by Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater, and Thurston County in 2003. The CAR-PFD finances payments on bonds issued by Lacey and Olympia for construction of two regional event centers: Lacey’s Regional Athletic Complex and Olympia’s Hands on Children’s Museum.

The CAR-PFD is authorized to receive 0.033% of the State share of sales and use tax generated in the four jurisdictions as allowed by RCW 82.14.390. This legislation authorized the use of State revenue to promote economic development by supporting the construction of certain public facilities in local jurisdictions.

A seven-member Public Facilities District Board of Directors has fiduciary responsibility for appropriate use of sales tax revenue it collects and districts. The Board meets annually to review financial statements and issue an annual report to the public on the use of those funds.

Four members of the Board shall be appointed under RCW 35.57.010(3)(c)(ii), one each shall be appointed by the City Councils of Lacey, Olympia, and Tumwater, and by the Thurston County Board of County Commissioners. The four appointments shall be based on the recommendations received from local organizations that include, but are not limited to, the local chamber of commerce, local economic development council, local labor council, and a neighborhood organization that is directly affected by the location of the regional center in their area.

Three members are appointed as districtwide appointees by the elected officials of Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater, and Thurston County. The members appointed shall not be members of the legislative authorities (RCW 35.57.010(3)(c)(i).

If interested, please submit a letter of interest and resume, and include any pertinent volunteer experience, background information, or expertise to If you have questions, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at (360) 491-3214 or