City Manager

The City Manager is appointed by the City Council and responsible for day-to-day city operations and administration of Council policy. All other city departments are responsible for service provision and report to the City Manager.

Rick Walk is the City Manager for the City of Lacey. The City Manager is appointed by the City Council as the City’s chief executive officer and is responsible to the Council for the proper administration of all City affairs.

The City Manager oversees the effective and efficient delivery of all city services, including public safety, emergency preparedness, street maintenance and construction, traffic management, public works construction, planning, building inspection, code enforcement, parks and recreation, economic development, policy development, public information and neighborhood communications, water, wastewater, reclaimed water, and stormwater services, special events, and intergovernmental relations. All department directors are appointed by and report to the City Manager.

The City Manager and City staff work closely with the City Council to develop policy initiatives and ensure the implementation of the Council’s goals and priorities. The City Manager prepares and presents the annual city budget to the City Council and is responsible for the proper expenditure and monitoring of all City funds.  


Lacey is located in Thurston County. The city’s 2020 census population is 56,576.

Lacey’s geographic boundaries lie within the 10th U.S. Congressional District, created in 2012, to adjust for population growth in Washington State. Find your State and Local Representatives

An Ordinance is a municipal law which may be amended or repealed by adoption of another ordinance. Except in cases of emergency, an ordinance as passed by the City Council, takes effect five days after its publication in the city’s official newspaper. Most ordinances become part of the Lacey Municipal Code Book. A Resolution is a Council action that may be used to express City Council policy, direct administrative or legal action, or to make a public statement from the Council.

Call the City Clerk’s Office at (360) 491-3214. The Mayor and Councilmembers generally are not available at City Hall during the day. Staff will be able to help schedule a time to contact the appropriate Councilmember. A staff person may be able to respond to your question or concerns. Visit the Lacey City Council’s web page for additional contact information.

The Lacey City Council meets on the first and third Thursdays of each month. Meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers at Lacey City Hall, 420 College Street SE.

No, all Councilmembers are elected at-large and serve four-year terms.

On occasion, the City Council will recess to an “Executive Session.” This is a closed portion of the meeting for discussion of confidential legal matters, personnel matters, labor negotiations, property transactions, or considering matters affecting national security. These are the only issues which may be discussed in executive session.

When the City Council passes an ordinance it becomes municipal law. The ordinance is ÒcodifiedÓ or added to the Lacey Municipal Code, also known as the LMC, which serves as the official law book for the city.

The City of Lacey has a franchise agreement with Comcast and is able to assist with service problems if necessary. Contact Public Affairs to assist in resolving escalated service problems.

The Animal Shelter is located at 3120 Martin Way in Olympia. For pet licensing or pet adoption information, to report an injured, stray, or problem animal, or to learn how you can become a volunteer, call Animal Services at (360) 352-2510.

Lacey residents who do not dispose of their own tree are asked to place trees at the curb in front of their home to be picked up on the second Saturday of January by local Boy Scout troops. All lights and decorations must be removed from the tree before placing it curbside. Visit our Holiday Tree Roundup page for more information.

At each City Council meeting there is a time for the public to speak on issues not otherwise on the agenda. If you want to address an issue that is scheduled for a public hearing, plan to attend the Council meeting and speak during the public hearing section of that agenda item. You can call the City Clerk’s office at (360) 491-3214 to learn what time the public hearing is scheduled.

The Thurston County AuditorÕs office registers voters and conducts elections. Visit the Thurston County Auditor’s office website at, call (360) 786-5408, or pick up a registration form at the City Manager’s office counter.

Contact the City Clerk’s office at (360) 491-3214 or email for information and an application.

Yes, there is a ballot drop-off box located in the parking lot. The Thurston County Auditor webpage has a map of all the drop box locations in Thurston County.

City maps are available through the Lacey South Sound Chamber, located at 3925 8th Ave SE Ste. C, Lacey WA 98503, or by calling (360) 491-4141. The City Manager’s office distributes bicycle maps which offer several routes for recreational bike riding.

The City of Lacey was incorporated in 1966, with a rich history dating back to the early 1890Õs.

The majority of Lacey’s land area resides within Washington StateÕs 22nd Legislative District boundary, with some geographic areas in the 20th District. To find your Legislator, visit the Washington State Legislature’s website at

The Thurston County Treasurer calculates and sends out property tax bills. Check the Thurston County Treasurer’s website for information, or call the Treasurer’s office during regular office hours at (360) 786-5550.